Saturday, August 9, 2008

I MADE IT!

So we're sitting at the house where I'm staying right now...the Holbrooks. They have a 2 story flat, and so they are letting me stay in one of their extra bedrooms. Andrea, an intern from 2 years ago who works at the embassy now, is living here too! I'm not going to be staying here permanently, though. Hopefully we'll have it all worked out in the next week or so...
So after I got on the plane, I tried to pull myself together. My seat was great! I sat next to a guy from Kuwait...he was nice, though we didn't really talk too much. I started feeling nauseous about an hour into the flight. I ate some crackers, but it really didn't help, so I figured I should take something for it before it got too bad. I couldn't tell if it was from nerves or something else. So I took half of a phenagrin, and fell asleep. I ended up sleeping for about 5 hours, which was amazing! When I woke up, I felt much better. We finally landed, and I was worried about missing my next flight, but they had a guy waiting for me and the other people going to cairo, who took us on a bus right to the plane. So we hopped on and took off.
The second flight was a piece of cake. They gave us lunch, and then I just read the rest of the time. After we landed, I went through immigration easily and then went on to get my bags...only the red duffel made it. Filing a lost bag report was kinda difficult. I had to give my passport to this random guy so he could make a copy of it for customs (that made me really nervous). And I had to give them the combination to the lock on my bag, so they can 'go through it'...but thankfully they dropped the bag off yesterday, and everything was still there!
Going through customs was super easy. I just showed him my passport, and he waved me through. And travis was waiting right when I went through the door. He took me to the Holbrooks to meet Kelly...she is AMAZING! So warm and accepting... I feel so at home! I didn't get to change or wash my face or do anything to my hair before the church service ( I felt like a big grease monkey!). After church, we went to this family's house that has been living in Cairo for 10 years! We just had a big game night. The kids are all super cool. They definitely remind me of some of the MBCC kids. One thing I love the most is just the incredible amount of diversity. There are kids from all over the world!
I was definitely tired after such a long day! I slept so well last night! And a lot of the places in Maadi are air conditioned, which definitely helps. This morning, we went to church, and they made me get up on the stage, and kelly introduced me...I was a little embarrassed. But she said something about me running track at Samford, and after the service, this guy came up and told me that he's a P.E. coach at the American school, and that the track coach there could definitely use some help! They don't start practice until about January, though, which will give me time to get settled in! But I think it would be so much fun to help out!
We went to Chili's for lunch (it was great!). Now we're sitting here at the holbrooks, and travis, kelly and andrea are watching Alias. We're going to go to the pool in a little while! I already love it. I know yall will too!
It is a little intimidating coming in to such a close knit community, but they are so welcoming and open. And Maadi is SO safe! There are a lot of trees here too, which makes it feel less like the desert.
There is so much more to tell, so I will try to write about the rest of it later! Can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for me here! I know that He is already working in a big way! Thanks again for all of your prayers!

No comments: