I've now been in my new home for about a week. The transition from my first home (the Holbrooks) to this one (the Brewer's) has been somewhat challenging. I felt settled and comfortable at the Holbrooks; it became a refuge from the shock of being in such a different culture. So to be taken out of that and forced to start all over again with another family was emotionally draining. But the Lord was at work in the midst of it all (as He always is). He used this situation to teach me a huge lesson:
It was definitely a trying yet joyful few days. Moving from a place where I felt comfortable and at home, in a foreign city that is not my home, was hard, to say the least. My stubborn nature wanted so much to rebel and find a way to stay at the Holbrooks. But God was faithful to soften my heart and teach me in the midst of this uneasy transition.
What I realized, as I was unpacking in my new room at the Brewer's, is my tendency to run towards what is comfortable and familiar. I long for that feeling of belonging and security. Even as I unpacked, I thought "alright Lord, I've learned my lesson, now can I go back to the Holbrooks?". I still didn't get it. God called me to Egypt with a purpose; He called me away from the comfort and safety of friends and family to a place that is not my home. Not so that I could settle in and once again find complacency, but so that I could effectively minister to the people here. The whole point is that while on this earth, comfort should not be my goal, for I was not made for this world, but rather for a heavenly one, a lasting one, where I will find eternal comfort and rest in Christ Jesus. What an incredible blessing He has lavished upon me; to bring me to this amazing place where I am completely uncomfortable, only to teach me to find my comfort in Himself! Living with the Brewer's has already been such a wonderful blessing. God is using this family to minister to me during my time here in Cairo, and hopefully I will be able to minister to them as well.
What I realized, as I was unpacking in my new room at the Brewer's, is my tendency to run towards what is comfortable and familiar. I long for that feeling of belonging and security. Even as I unpacked, I thought "alright Lord, I've learned my lesson, now can I go back to the Holbrooks?". I still didn't get it. God called me to Egypt with a purpose; He called me away from the comfort and safety of friends and family to a place that is not my home. Not so that I could settle in and once again find complacency, but so that I could effectively minister to the people here. The whole point is that while on this earth, comfort should not be my goal, for I was not made for this world, but rather for a heavenly one, a lasting one, where I will find eternal comfort and rest in Christ Jesus. What an incredible blessing He has lavished upon me; to bring me to this amazing place where I am completely uncomfortable, only to teach me to find my comfort in Himself! Living with the Brewer's has already been such a wonderful blessing. God is using this family to minister to me during my time here in Cairo, and hopefully I will be able to minister to them as well.
Needless to say, God has already been moving and teaching me more than I could've hoped or asked for! I can't wait to see what else He has in store.
On a completely different note... today is officially the beginning of Ramadan (the Islamic month of fasting). I'll be sure to report on what it's like and post pictures of the vast amount of Ramadan lamps that are hanging around town! Also coming up... My top ten reasons why I love living in Cairo!
Thanks again for all of your prayers and support!

1 comment:
I am thrilled you are settled and know you will be a blessing to this family as you ALL get to know Egypt together. Keep your posts coming so we can live vicariously thru you! Blessings!! Karen
Post a Comment