Sunday, September 21, 2008

It's been A While...


     People told me that homesickness is inevitable when you live in a foreign country. Apparently it has a tendency to hit people after about 6 weeks and then again at 6 months... Needless to say, I came down with a case of 'home sickness' about a week ago. At first, I didn't want to admit to it... cause I felt like a wimp. But then I realized that there is something rich about being homesick. It was God's way of reminding me just how blessed I am to have suc incredibly supportive family and friends, and to have the love and support of a community of believers.
     The Lord also used my getting home sick as a teaching opportunity- to continue to break me of my fleshly tendencies; namely, my tendency to run to what is comfortable and safe. Because I am thousands of miles away from my family and my earthly home, I no longer have that 'safe place' to run to when the troubles of the world get overwhelming. God has removed those things in order that I may see and know that He alone is my comfort and it is only in Him that I will find refuge from this world. It is never an easy lesson to learn- it usually involves brokenness and tears- but what a rich blessing to be able to experience God in such a real and tangible way- to be able to pray "God, take me through this trial, that I might be refined for Your name's sake"- to see in the midst of everything going wrong, that He is making things right. And that despite my best efforts to make things happen a certain way- I will fail every time if He is not in it. 
     
     On a totally different note- Here's an update of what all we've been doing the past couple of weeks... We just got home yesterday from our Middle School retreat. It was such a great weekend- we took about 40 middle school students to Sakaara Country Club, about 30 minutes outside of Cairo, and stayed there for 2 nights. The theme for the weekend was "Identity"- talking about finding our Identity in Christ. It was such a powerful message, and something that really resonated with the hearts of the Middle School students. We will be going back to the same place this coming weekend for our High School retreat- which I am SO excited about!
     I cannot tell you how much I cherish your prayers! Oh, and if yall ever have any questions or something that you'd like me to write about, feel free to post a comment- and ask away! 
    Here are a couple of pictures from the retreat:
These are the girls who got up with me at 5 a.m. to hike up the sand dunes for a sunrise-devo:

This is my first look at the Pyramids (we still haven't gone yet)... this was on the way back from the retreat:

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Cameron,
I am so sorry you are homesick, but it sounds like the Lord is teaching you so much through all of this. Your girls look precious and I know that you are making such a difference in their lives. I love checking your blog for updates and your Mom has been keeping everyone up to date as well. Love ya,
Shannon

Peyton said...

being homesick is when God teaches us the most. we become so weak and thats when we learn things. God begins to mold us into the selfless person he wants us to be.

my mom gave me your blog site. im glad i got it! i have one too. im praying for you. and im so glad you are where you are. such a cool thing.